Patients - COPD

Where can my clients get help to treat  COPD?
There are a number of places you can go to learn more about quitting smoking, taking COPD medications, recognizing and treating COPD flare-ups, using breathing techniques for shortness of breath and making positive lifestyle changes.
These include:
  • Participate in a pulmonary rehabilitation program.  This is an outpatient program that includes supervised exercise and education on how to manage your COPD.  In Central Zone, this program is offered at the Mumford Professional Centre or the Cobequid Community Health Centre.  Ask your primary care provider (family doctor or nurse practitioner) about being referred to a pulmonary rehabilitation program near you. 
  • The INSPIRED COPD Outreach Program is a program that provides COPD self-management education in the home.  This program is for people who are having trouble coping with COPD and who have visited the Emergency Department or been admitted to hospital due their COPD.  If you are interested in participating in the INSPIRED Program and are eligible, you can ask your primary care provider or other health professional to fill out the referral form.   If you require more information, please contact us.  
  • Talk to your primary care provider. They are one of the most important health care connections you have and he/she is in the best position to make sure that you get the on-going care and follow-up you need.  You may wish to discuss if a referral to a lung specialist (respirologist) is appropriate.  
  • Learn more about COPD from the Canadian Lung Association and the Lung Association of Nova Scotia.  More information can be found in the links section.