A new approach to care and service delivery
INSPIRED is a new evidence-based clinical service under the leadership of Graeme Rocker, chief, Division of Respirology. It brings together a new specialist team who are available to visit patients during a hospital admission and then in their homes to:
- Provide education and support
- Help navigate the local health care system and gain access to services that can support them at home
- Improve communication among the professionals who are assisting in their care
- Provide patients with written COPD action plans and access to a helpline to initiate earlier treatment of a COPD flare-up
- Provide an opportunity for patients/families to discuss care goals with clinicians who are experienced in conducting advance care planning discussions
Piloting of INSPIRED began in September 2010. A second phase, built on early experiences and feedback, began in February 2011. Patient and family feedback is very positive. Early results are encouraging, with major reductions in both frequency of their visits to Emergency and of bed occupancy (greater than 50 per cent) for patients enrolled in the program.