Centre for Health Care of the Elderly
The Geriatrics / Centre for Health Care of the Elderly (CHCE) is a multi-service, interdisciplinary program based primarily in the Camp Hill Veterans' Memorial Building (CHVMB) of the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Capital Health. The cornerstone of our care is interdisciplinary comprehensive geriatric assessment, treatment and education of frail older persons and their families. There is a prominent role of research, centered in the Geriatric Medicine Research Unit.
Our researchers are recognized national and internationally as leaders in research on frailty and cognitive impairment. The CHCE services are Geriatric Day Hospital (includes a Falls Clinic), Geriatric Assessment Unit, Geriatric Restorative Care, Progressive Care Unit, Geriatric Ambulatory Care/Memory Disability Clinic and satellite clinics throughout the province. CHVMB is also home to 175 veterans.
Mission and Goals
In accordance with the Mission of Capital Health, the Centre of Health Care of the Elderly (CHCE) exists to enhance the health of the elderly population of Nova Scotia. We provide specialized interdisciplinary care for elderly patients of Capital Health. We also carry out consultation, education, research and advocacy in Capital Health and beyond. CHCE collaborates with these elderly people to:
- Assist this population's response to challenges of aging successfully
- Maintain / optimize their quality of life
- Optimize functional ability
- Enhance access to health services
- Promote discussion of goals of medical care and to facilitate appropriate ways of implementing this in practice using such tools as advanced directives
- Help maintain a safe environment to assist people to stay in their homes if they wish and to promote independent living where possible
- Educate and support family members / caregivers regarding the trajectory of the patient's illness, without compromising their own emotional and physical health
- Undertake teaching and research, in geriatrics and gerontology in collaboration with the University Division of Geriatric Medicine, University School of Nursing and other academic bodies
- Promote the interest of elderly people in the distribution of health care and other resources
- Eradicate ageism and all forms of abuse of the elderly
- Advocate and uphold respect for the elderly